Chamber Assistant Job Description
Scott County Chamber of Commerce
Job Title: Chamber Assistant
Reports to: Chamber Director
The Assistant provides a variety of administrative and clerical work for the Scott County Chamber of Commerce with minimal supervision. The Assistant works with the Director to achieve departmental objectives. This position works under the general direction of the Director. Work is subject to evaluation on the basis of results obtained.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties described below are indicative of what the assistant might be asked to perform. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides a wide variety of administrative and secretarial task for the Scott County Chamber of Commerce
- Schedules and coordinates appointments and calendars.
- Responds to sensitive requests for information and assistance.
- Coordinates the flow of paperwork including periodic and special reports between
various task forces.
- Composes and types newsletter, directives, bulletins, schedules, update website, and agendas.
- Answers incoming telephone calls.
- Cover Front Desk of the Scott County Chamber of Commerce.
- Assists on special projects or events as assigned
- Makes arrangements for meetings, occasionally attends meetings.
- Maintains/oversees the maintenance of chamber, accounts, budget, and various files.
- Operates a variety of office equipment incidental to clerical and secretarial duties.
- Completes all accounts payable vouchers for invoices submitted to the Scott County Chamber of Commerce
- Keeps supervisor informed of details affecting office management decisions and operations.
- Reviews incoming correspondence, drafting responses on matters for which authority has been delegated.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required at the time of hire or for continuation of employment.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School diploma required.
- Minimum of one (1) year administrative or secretarial work experience.
- Management experience is desired but is not required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of format and organization of correspondence, reports and written directives.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Ability to operate a personal computer utilizing word processing, spread sheeting,
database management, desktop publishing, e-mail and various software applications, including but not limited to website navigation/excel/PowerPoint/InDesign/QuickBooks.
- Ability to compose correspondence from fragmentary instructions.
- Ability to comprehend and make inferences from written material.
- Ability to sort, separate, arrange, file or distribute incoming mail, products or material in prescribed manner.
- Ability to produce written documents with clearly organized thought using proper
sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ability to work cooperatively and maintain a professional manner when dealing with
Board members, staff and the general public.
- Ability to maintain all types of records.
- Ability to respond to complaints and grievances in a professional and courteous manner while providing customer service.
- Ability to work independently, and with a team or board.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Ability to participate and perform effectively in all types of meetings.
- Ability to perform basic math skills – add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
PHYSICAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing,
reaching, walking, lifting (up to 10 pounds), grasping, talking, hearing/listening,
seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
- The majority of work is performed in an office setting; and employees may remain in a
seated position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work under time pressures such as frequent 'rush' jobs, urgent deadlines, etc.
- Ability to work under distractions such as telephone calls and other disturbances.
- Ability to deal with unpleasant social situations such as irate or disturbed individuals.
- Ability to work in a hectic, busy, and sometimes stressful work environment.
Send resumes to:
Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 404
Scottsburg, IN 47170